Tuesday 10 May 2011

Interview with Joshua Prince-Ramus - REX architects

Interview with Joshua Prince-Ramus of REX architects

REX architects



















Thanks Designboom


" joshua prince-ramus was born in 1969.
he received a bachelor of arts in philosophy with distinction
from yale university in 1991 and a master of architecture from
harvard university in 1996. joshua prince-ramus is president
of REX and principal in charge of all projects. he was the
founding partner of OMA new york. while REX was still known
as OMA new york, prince-ramus was partner in charge of the
seattle central library and the guggenheim-hermitage museum
in las vegas. in addition to the recently completed at&t performing
arts center’s dee and charles wyly theatre in dallas, texas,
other cultural projects by REX include museum plaza,
a 62-story mixed-use skyscraper housing a contemporary
art center in louisville, kentucky, and the new central library
and music conservatory for the city of kortrijk, belgium.
current projects also include the istanbul headquarters for
vakko and power media, turkey’s preeminent
fashion and media companies; the university of louisville’s
college of business campus in kentucky; and a line of public
furniture for belgian furniture company quinze & milan.
REX recently placed second in both the international competition
for the new edvard munch museum in oslo, norway,
and the finnish innovation fund’s low2no sustainable development
competition in helsinki, finland. he is currently a visiting professor
at columbia university’s graduate school of architecture,
planning, and preservation, and has previously been a visiting
professor at both harvard and yale.



---
we met joshua prince-ramus in new york on may 13, 2009.
---

what is the best moment of the day?
when I come home and my daughter yells 'daddy' and
runs to me.

what kind of music do you listen to at the moment?
sufjan stevens.

do you listen to the radio?
no.

what books do you have on your bedside table?
the master and margarita (by mikhail bulgakov) and
seven pillars of wisdom (by t. e. lawrence).

do you read design / architecture magazines?
no.

not even flip through them?
I flip through them (admits).

where do you get your news from?
my blackberry, in the morning, on my way to work.
I have a web news service.
I key in issues important to me and articles from the
new york times, the wall street journal, etc. get dumped
onto my blackberry.

I assume you notice how women dress.
do you have any preferences?

simple and elegant, but also sexy. I have a huge
partiality to prada and to miuccia (prada).

what kind of clothes do you avoid wearing?
I like very simple colors - light blue, white, grey and black.
I'm really uncomfortable with anything that has detail.
all I have are pure cuts.
I would never have a shirt that had funny buttons,
or a funny pocket.

do you have any pets?
not at the moment, but I had a cat.

when you were a child, did you want to
become an architect?

yes. since a very very very young age. since 5.
my grandfather was a very successful engineer and had
worked with a lot of very good architects and exposed
me to the field."

read on HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment